“Any work done in the name of God is good work. But it must be done sincerely, honestly, without taking pride in it, without wanting to profit through it.” ~ Meher Baba
Volunteering and Committees
Avatar’s Abode relies upon volunteers who dedicate their time and energy in loving service to Meher Baba. Volunteers participate in a broad range of activities including gardening, event planning, cleaning, art projects and archival work. New volunteers are always welcome and are provided with induction and work, health and safety training.
Please contact us if you would like to volunteer to join a committee or work at Avatar’s Abode.
Volunteer and Committee Roles
The Anniversary Committee organises and runs The Anniversary, a yearly event commemorating Meher Baba’s visit to Avatar’s Abode.
The Archives Committee is responsible for archival work for Baba’s precious artefacts and items associated with Him.
The Baba’s House Committee oversees the preservation and maintenance of Baba’s House and the Meeting Hall.
The Bookstore Manager manages the Avatar’s Abode Bookstore.
Cleaning volunteers perform cleaning work in buildings Baba visited, common areas and pilgrim accommodation.
Communication volunteers manage email updates, the Avatar’s Abode website and social media.
The Events Calendar Workgroup meets annually to plan the major events timetable on Avatar’s Abode for the next twelve months.
Flower volunteers place fresh flowers in Baba’s room twice a week.
The Librarian maintains and manages the Francis Brabazon Library at Avatar’s Abode and supplies books to the pilgrim accommodation.
The Management Committee manages the day-to-day maintenance and running of the property. This committee meets monthly and oversees a number of volunteer workgroups including:
- The Admin Workgroup meets weekly to manage work in progress and attend to urgent maintenance issues.
- The Building Maintenance Group actions major repairs and maintenance.
- The Buildings Grounds Workgroup performs grounds work and organises working bees.
- Grounds and Property volunteers perform mowing, tree maintenance, clearing and fire hazard reduction.
- The Welcoming Workgroup manages day visits by pilgrims and pilgrim accommodation bookings.